- Working with us
Our volunteer team consists of over 130 volunteers from diverse backgrounds and age groups, who work in various roles throughout our hospital. We are looking for a weekly commitment of between 4 to 15 hours per week. Shift times vary depending on the volunteer position and are generally 4 hours between Monday to Friday, however we do have weekend shifts available in our Emergency Department.
To be a St John of God Geelong Hospital volunteer you should:
- Be 18-85 years of age
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Have a strong commitment to serving people
- Be able to make a minimum 12 months commitment
- Take pride in your work and appearance
- Protect patient and visitor confidentiality
- Be accountable, reliable and respectful
- Demonstrate compassion and understanding
- Be interested in learning new skills and flexible to undertake a variety of roles
- Be committed to ongoing relevant training
- Be physically able to perform the role
- Satisfactorily pass a police clearance and provide a current Working with Children Check
- Provide referees to comment on your suitability for the role
The benefits of volunteering
The major benefit of being a volunteer is the satisfaction gained from helping and caring for others, knowing you are making a difference to someone else’s life and feeling that you are appreciated and valued for it.
Additionally our Volunteers receive:
- Complimentary on-site parking, subject to availability
- Complimentary refreshments from the hospital café
- Access to the caregiver benefits program
- Discounts to hospital services
- Induction training and ongoing training relevant to your role
- Provision of uniform and ID badge
The opportunities for volunteers are as varied as the people who offer their time and experience. We work with you to provide roles that are meaningful and best suited to your talents, experience and availability.
Our roles include:
- Café Costa Assistant
- Patient Support - Day Oncology/Emergency/Day Surgery/Rehabilitation
- In-Patient/Ward Support and Hospitality
- Meet and Greet - Intensive Care Unit
- Meet and Greet - Main Reception
- Flower Attendant
- Patient Transport Service
- Companion Support
- Art Program (Cartwheels) Assistant
- Engineering and Maintenance Support
- Maternity/Women's Health Unit Concierge
- Convenience Trolley
Check the role descriptions for these positions.
We are currently accepting applications. Volunteering Australia’s National Standards require organisations to apply screening processes when recruiting volunteers to help maintain the safety and security of service users, employees, volunteers and the organisation.
Please keep in mind the application may take up to three months for us to process. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
How to become a volunteer
Applications are accepted at any time. Specific vacancies will be advertised under 'Current Vacancies'.
Contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator for further information on 03 5215 0968 or email [email protected]
When a suitable opportunity becomes available, registered applicants will be contacted by the Volunteer Services Coordinator to arrange an interview.
Our hospital is also supported by the Hospital Auxiliary, a generous group of volunteers focused on fundraising to provide equipment for patient comfort and care.
If you are interested in joining our Hospital Auxiliary to assist in the Gift Shop or other fundraising events, please contact 03 5226 8888.